Sunday, June 4

The Wonder of Birds

*This is a post I've had hanging around for. . . two months. Phoo.*




At first I thought it was just a matter of restlessness to get this remodel work done (four months later). But that can't be all, because like a crow, my need isn't just for a comfortable place. This nesting call has me wanting to surround myself with stolen pennies and shiny stones--my family's artwork. It's weird and hard to explain, but more than anything else I want to be at the point where I can hang Mum's painting, Jeanne's collage, Annie's drawings, Rob's printing. I want the security of a freezer full of ziplock baggies, bulging with Sunday dinner leftovers of Dad's delicious soups. Becca's quilting, Geo's knitting, Heidi's love all around me in stacks of baby clothes and in this diaper bag and on the phone; Grandma present in the heirloom stuff she's given me.

I don't want them because they're lovely (though they are), but because they're lovefull. That's the kind of last minute nest feathering I'm feeling the urgency about. Not cleaning, organizing, deciding, sorting, nope--plain old sticks.

It's the cheering section, knowing this baby will be loved by others besides me, that's the kind of nesting I'm feeling. Want this baby to greet a sweet and lovely world when she hatches. Want a sweet and lovely world to greet this babe.

4 comments:

Geo said...

The world may not be consistently sweet and lovely, but your marigold will always be surrounded by that love you've been dreaming about, I'm so sure of it.

Jamie said...

...she's got the love AND the lovely home full of reminders of the love. The house looks beautiful, the treasures are everywhere, but it's the spirit and the happy glow of your new family that stuck in my mind. You three are so blessed with each other!

Elizabeth said...

Joh---
So I loved this because I love the idea of things being lovefull, and loving them because they are full of the love of those that gave them -- not because of the things themselves. (Not that things can't be lovely and fun to have, but I like the idea of children being influenced by the special people that make up their family.) I'm going to start thinking about things that are lovefull in my life. Those are definitely the most important "things" that I own.

Rachel said...

lovefull---that's delightful.