Saturday, July 8

How far it's got:




When I found a drenched spot on my sheets under Scout's bum after our nap, I just let it air dry, and am sleeping on it tonight.



Guess I'm officially a sheet-snob has been. Reminds me of that momentous day several weeks after she was born when I realised I had had skin contact with every bodily fluid--except bile and maybe earwax--in a single day. Barf, blood, spit, tears, sweat, pee, poo, snot, milk, yeah you name it, all there. It seemed . . . like a big deal. In some symbolic way. Or something.






In other news: She laughed! A lovely sound, original and the first in the world. Those great big grins, all gum and so-inviting open mouth, the elkas and ha!s--this baby blackbird has spoken like the first bird.


8 comments:

Jamie said...

That is a beautiful baby! And welome to the ranks of Human Hanky. My favorite is when Heidi just walks by and casually wipes her nose on me as she passes. Um, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Audrey's taken to picking her nose and handing us her snot lately... I know what you mean, though. After the first time I got pooped on I felt like I gad officially entered some kind of club or something. Rykoch.

Becca said...

It's true that babies are all about bodily fluids. Laughing? Already? I feel like I'm missing out on so much!

Rachel said...

i love the bodily fluids day. i've been there. and then when you realize that everyone needs a piece of you and you are fulfilling everyone's needs but your own---feeding, sexing, burping, entertaining, etc. yikes. those moments i feel like i'm not a person, but a machine.

your baby gets cuter and cuter every picture. and she was super duper cute to begin with!

moiety said...

varbpyi, except written all squiggly-like: it's my ticket to post a comment here, but it reads like it could have been what that babe was saying as you got Punk'd . . . or Puke'd, or whatever.

Znltl! (on a wobbly, increasing, positive incline, a vivid green, and a peppy typeface:) Here we are again: this might have been her comment upon sneezing on you.

Anna said...

sheet snob hasbeen?... are you willing to sleep on the not so smooth ones yet? ;) i love those pictures of scout.

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Well, no, not unless I have to. Guess I haven't hit rockbottom yet.

Elizabeth said...

She is beautiful, Joh.