Monday, July 24

Legacy: July 24th

We hired Garrett, a wiry, baby-faced sixteen-year-old neighbour, to help out with yardwork this summer. The first time he showed up, eight ay em sharp, I nearly wept to see this strong good boy working hard to dig out the stumps I didn't get last fall, haul branches to the brush pile, and concentrate so dilligently on making good earning his $6.00/hour. It was beautiful. I had the unmistakably adult desire to call his mother and tell her what a fine young man he is.

He was game for anything (except prolonged periods of weeding), so I told him we needed to stack some wood. Much of our "mature landscape" is not just mature but overripe, so there was a decent little mound of logs. No problem, he said. Half an hour later he knocked at the door and asked me to come make sure his pile looked good. His beautiful half-circle mound lasted but a day, alas. Garrett, see, hasn't yet been schooled in the fine art of woodpile architecture.

I, however, have been learning these lessons since I could pass wood along a chain of hands, indeed, since I was young enough to refuse to pass wood along a chain of hands becuase of the spiders harboured there.

While we were visiting my parents this past weekend, Andy spent most of Saturday morning with my Dad, cutting up logs stacked on sawhorses with a 24-inch chainsaw. Dad has an arrangement with an old neighbour who trims trees on the days he doesn't have class, and instead of hauling it all away to be chipped for compost, he brings it to Mum and Dad's driveway. Looks like it's been a good summer for him; there's barely space for cars now.

These piles are diverse, and the wood in them is old, I'd wager some of it pioneer wood: thick rounds of fruit woods--plum, apple, cherry--and ash, black locust, elm and sycamore, pine and spruce. Dad's plan is to cut and split it all by hand and sell it in bundles--kindling included--to people who just want to go have a campfire somewhere. An artisan campfire. He will also use it to heat his home this winter, and Rob will use it to heat Tryst.

Andy told me about their time together. "When people talk about 'coming into their living'? For your Dad that means wood. That's his heritage for his children. He'd pick up a piece and toss it aside, 'Ooh, look at this one. I'll save it for Rob.' 'Just look at this piece, Andy. Isn't this incredible?'"

This July 24th, while I sit here in Southern Idaho, warmed at fires I didn't light and celebrating my adopted heritage, I also honor those who have taught me how to pile the wood and dry it for use on a cold winter's afternoon--my heritage inherited.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

YAY, JOh, you're back! I have missed you, and missed seeing your pretty growing girl! I can't wait to get off bed rest and pay you a visit (or vice-versa, if you care to come to Montana and meet our wee#3). I love this post and I so love your dad, your whole family. Sometimes when I think or talk about my Bucherts, it almost sounds like a book I read once, like you all just couldn't be real, all those fun, quirky, talented, REAL people in one family. And it starts to be really weird when I think of how our lives got all intertwined and how much you all mean to me, when really, what are the odds we'd even have met? And even if it was through Rob's mission to AZ, why should we all feel like family? I don't know, but I sure feel grateful. I am grateful for my heritage, and for YOURS, too!

moiety said...

James,

I've been thinking for, oh, the past ten or fifteen years about how so often, what we humans percieve as some thing-in-itself (say, a family?) trickily eludes absolute, satisfactory qualification that way when you spend a little time thinking about it, walking its metes and bounds as it were. I for one am grateful for the lived world's tonalities and texture that come from the gradations of love and connectedness, and the web-sticky outreaching connections that infiltrate my human world like the hyphal network of a tree's root system, binding "tree" with "not-tree" and blending the two.

urm. didn't really mean to stick my nose into your loving outburst to Spudbucket here; just felt moved by your enthusiasm for Dad and the rest of the Bucherts. right, signing off.

sigh, memories of wood stacking. early education in structural engineering, and material science. funny Mohat, that I don't wander around all the time like I am after reading this, realizing what a central motif to this familiy's life the work of the wood is :)

Geo said...

I could cook a marshmallow over this post, it's so lovely and warm.

Elizabeth said...

This was a beautiful post, Johanna. Thanks for sharing. I love moments where the past and present play this melody within you and you find yourself recognizing the blend and noting the differences at the same time. Maybe a little different, but hopefully along the same line, I love realizing my "stock," so to speak, where I come from --- and then realizing that I really AM part of that group.